Our volunteers are from all walks of life,
but they share a few things in common
a desire to help others and a willingness to learn
As a nonprofit organization, MTRA exists because of the time and generosity of others throughout the Marion county and surrounding communities. We continue to need your care and support.
There are a wide range of opportunities for individuals, families, church groups, clubs, schools and businesses to take an active role in a way that is the most meaningful to them. As a 501(C)3, all donations are tax-deductible.
We hope you will explore some of the ways you can help MTRA continue its rich heritage of helping clients of all ages and disabilities achieve the extraordinary physical and psychological benefits of therapeutic horseback riding. Additionally, we are always open to ideas to generate sustainable ways we can deepen our program and continue to play an integral role in the lives of our clients.
Have a special talent?
MTRA is currently working very hard to assign specific tasks to people with the skills and experience to help us maximize the very valuable hours that our volunteers give us. Here are just a few of the different roles we have available for our volunteers:
- Leaders: This is the person who leads the horse for our assisted riders. Horse experience is preferred, but not necessary.
- Side Walkers: The side walkers assist in putting the assisted riders on and off the horse, and then walk on either side of the rider throughout the lesson, sometimes physically assisting the rider to balance. We are especially in need of volunteers who are physically capable of assisting with our Hillcrest riders who are more severely disabled and require a bit of strength with assistance.
- Journalist/writers: One of the most important factors with keeping MTRA in the black is handled by publishing a newsletter, creating email news releases, soliciting publications for donated space or receptivity to including articles relating to MTRA events and news, helping with Volunteer, rider, sponsor and donor communications, etc. We are very much in need of help in this area. We also are very busy researching grant opportunities and writing grants and can always use assistance in this area.
- Photographers/videographers: We are always in need of good quality photographs and video of our events, lessons and riders. Video editing capability is a plus!
- Administration: Whether you are an obsessive-compulsive organizer or just someone who would like to help and takes good direction, we always have a need for help in our offices!
- Maintenance: Love to landscape or garden? Like to build things? Have some mechanical abilities and no place to use them? Tell us what you love to do and we'll find a pairing for you! We have tractors, lawnmowers, mules that need maintaining and grass to mow, pastures to drag, flower beds to maintain and landscaping that needs TLC at both Greenway and Hillcrest locations.
- Jack-of-all-trades: Have a skill we haven't mentioned, but think you might be able to spare an hour a week or so? Send us an email or give us a call at 352-732-7300 and let's brainstorm!
Learn More About How to:
MTRA Wish List
The MTRA is always in need of the following items. To donate an item(s), please contact us at 352.732.7300, and we will arrange for pickup or delivery of the item.
- Vet Wrap
- Dressage saddle pads
- Shavings for both facilities
- Cowboy Magic detangler
- Cotton lead ropes (6')
- Duct Tape
- Bareback riding pads
- Dolly for moving heavy items
- Pre Paid Gas Cards
- Fans for stalls/arena
- Printer cartridges: HP 564XL or HP 61XL
- Senior feed
- Joint supplement for horses
Major items needed
- Reliable tractor (new or used)
- Bushhog for our tractor
- 42 inch or larger riding mower
- Bucket loader for Kubota Tractor
- Small flatbed trailer for hauling our mowers back and forth between our two facilities
- Jump standards and/or materials to make jumps
- Gift certificates for one ton of T/A hay
- Extension ladder
- Push mower
- Weed wacker (gas powered)
- Variety of tools: vice grips, wire cutters, circular saws, drill and bits, etc.
- Wheel barrow or pull cart
- Fence boards, fence posts, fence nails/screws
- No climb horse wire for fencing
- Shelters or materials to build for horses in the fields
- Pole building to store our hay, tools, truck and horse trailer
- Shelves/storage units for office, classroom or barn
- Hayracks for fields
- Small Pick-up truck
Help us keep our four-legged team at the top of their game!
Click HERE to meet our Equine Partners and you can fill up their feed bags!
||Is PayPal safe to use? PayPal protects your financial information with industry-leading security and fraud prevention systems. When you use PayPal, your financial information is not shared with the merchant. Once your payment is complete, you will be emailed a receipt for this transaction.|
Click "Donate" link on left to specify an amount to donate to MTRA
||iGive: You Shop, They Win! Help Marion Therapeutic Riding Association Inc. (MTRA) for free!|
At over 680 brand name stores, a portion of each online purchase is donated to your favorite cause! Your stores, your cause, their money.
Start Shopping Here